Two Young Hungarian Devs Release Old-School RPG ‘Balrum’ With Kick-Arse, Turn-Based Combat System
Balrum, the classic old-school isometric RPG (with fresh real-time/turn-based gameplay, tactical combat and comical quests) is now available to buy exclusively on Steam.
Having already garnered a ‘Very Positive’ rating from the 100+ reviews so far, check out Balrum’s Steam page and trailer here: store.steampowered.com/app/424250
It’s not every day you can interview Hungarian games developers. Let firstname.lastname@example.org know if you would like to send a few quick-fire email questions to Attila and György.
What is Balrum?
Developed by two young Hungarians – Attila Zborai and György Szőke of Balcony Team – Balrum is a return to classic old-school isometric RPGs, coupled with innovative real-time exploration/turn-based combat gameplay. Some of the key features:
● Huge, classic isometric open-world RPG with day/night cycle and weather effects
● Real-time exploration with deeply tactical turn-based combat (featuring stacks of abilities, status effects and pets)
● Comprehensive settlement building system (total freedom, with no pre-existing templates)
● Farming system with crops and livestock
● Multi-pathed story with various guilds to join
● Detailed survival skills and mechanics
● Custom item crafting with player-created (rather than pre-defined) recipes
● Wonderful, witty non-generic quests (nomadic warlock pigs, human-troll marriages and randy old witches spiking bachelors with love potion. The normal stuff…)
Story of Balrum
You begin your adventure in Balrum twenty years after your village fled the kingdom and took refuge in Darkwood. Over time the dark secrets held by the wood begin to reveal themselves and horrible events occur. You feel the evil getting under your skin; you must leave. In your heart you know that once you step out of the protection of your childhood home nothing will be the same. You have to face a world that’s in chaos; a world without laws. Nevertheless, you feel something else too; you feel freedom. A completely new world to explore awaits and the people of Darkwood are counting on your help to end the evil.
“We can’t quite believe we’ve created and released Balrum”, said Attila Zborai & György Szőke of Balcony Team. “We became best friends during our years at university. Every day we talked about games, game design and new technical stuff we learned. We taught each other and inspired each other to work hard on our game ideas”.
“Then came the Kickstarter campaign and we were blown away. People actually wanted our game. The support we got was amazing. Balrum is our first game so we are newcomers in this business. Balrum is also our first job. We put everything we had into it and we hope we can do the same with other projects in the future. We hope you have as much fun playing Balrum as we had making it”.
Balrum is now available to purchase (£9.99 / $14.99 / €14.99) and download for PC, Mac and Linux in all counties, exclusively on Steam: store.steampowered.com/app/424250