X-Morph: Defense – the Schmetterling engine video
EXOR Studios has just released a video highlighting the technology features of the Schmetterling Engine that is powering X-Morph: Defense its upcoming twin-stick shooter, tower defense hybrid. Thanks to the power of the Schmetterling Engine the game is running in fluid 60FPS on all console platforms and even in 144FPS on high-end PCs.
Fully destructible environments
The Schmetterling engine was built with the intention of enabling game designers to create fully destructible environments. The dynamic destruction system in X-Morph: Defense allows players to precisely choose how they want to collapse buildings. The falling direction depends on how a building was cut down and is calculated in real-time based on the building’s physical properties. It is possible to cut a building in half or to just collapse a part of it. This technology allowed us to introduce collapsible buildings as a gameplay mechanic. Players can strategically block passages within a level to make it tougher for enemies to reach the X-Morph core.
Tree deformation and forest fires
The Schmetterling engine includes advanced tree simulation technology. Each explosion can bend surrounding trees depending on the force of the shockwave. Some aircraft and large, fast-moving projectiles also create wind fields that can bend trees. Forest fires may also appear during the heat of the battle as some explosions can ignite trees and the fire can jump from one tree to another in a short time.
Advanced physics effects
One of the design goals for X-Morph: Defense was to create an entirely dynamic and responsive environment. The Schmetterling engine allowed us to efficiently simulate physical shockwave effects from all explosions. Every piece of debris can be pushed back and bounce off the surrounding environment. This also allowed us to create some unique special effects like the Gravitational Singularity which can rip apart most enemy units. It creates a whirling vortex of broken enemy parts high above the ground. Any bullet, missile or debris that flies into its radius is affected by its strong gravitational pull
X-Morph: Defense will launch on August 30, 2017 simultaneously on Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows 10 for $19.99.
About X-Morph: Defense:
You are the X-Morph – an alien species that invades Earth to harvest its resources and terraform the surface. Strategize in the build mode by carefully selecting various types of alien towers or throw yourself right into the heat of the battle. Build mazes for incoming enemies in an environment that provides exceptional planning freedom. Tear down buildings and collapse bridges to support your defense or to simply indulge in a spectacle of unprecedented destruction. Possess a range of unique alien weapons and use defense strategies like you’ve never seen before in this genre.
– Build your towers anywhere on the map.
– Destroy obstacles, collapse buildings and bridges to change enemy paths.
– Connect towers with laser fences that block enemy movement.
– Smart enemies – there are no predefined enemy paths. Enemies adapt to the changing battlefield and your tower placement, making the challenge a lot more interesting.
– Advanced tower types – different kinds of enemies require different defense strategies. Build advanced towers to counter special enemies.
– Don’t wait for your enemies – engage them directly with the X-Morph fighter.
– Morph into four distinct fighter forms, each one with a different weapon and special ability.
– Fight huge, building size, mechanical war machines. Each boss fight is unique and heavily influences the gameplay environment. Entire cities will be destroyed.
SPLIT SCREEN CO-OP
– Fend off the human threat with a friend at your side.
SINGLE PLAYER AND COOP STORY CAMPAIGNS
– take over the Earth by invading locations all around the globe including South Africa, Russia, USA, Japan, China, Britain, Argentina and other countries
– upgrade your towers and abilities throughout the course of the story campaign
– the entire story campaign is available in coop mode
– coop missions include additional enemy waves that create a new gameplay experience
– three difficulty modes
– X-Morph: Defense is powered by EXOR Studios’ proprietary Schmetterling game engine.
– Dynamic building destruction system. Every building in the game can be destroyed piece by piece. Realistic physics simulation makes every destruction scenario unique.
– PhysX by NVIDIA.