Rod Humble, the former head of EA Play label which boasted such games as The Sims ® 2 & 3, today revealed details behind Cults & Daggers, a sprawling and complex strategy game set in the Hellenistic era between the death of Buddha and the birth of Christ. Developed and published by Chaphat LLC, the PC & Mac game is launching on Steam on February 12 for $29.99.
As the Old Gods plot to destroy a planet they can no longer rule, you are tasked with creating your own religious faith to fight a secret war for the soul of the world. Recruit loyal disciples throughout the Mediterranean in order to spread your faith by preaching to the masses and converting noble families. Along the way, you’ll have to deal with spies, assassinations, martyrs, occult forces, prophets and blasphemers, all while battling the Old Gods and other rising cults for the hearts and minds of the world.
“With Cults & Daggers, I sought to explore beyond the traditional strategy game model of ‘build and fight’, and offer up a more cerebral experience,” said Humble, CEO of Chaphat. “At the same time, I wanted players to challenge themselves by navigating the chaotic web created by corruption, religious avarice and betrayal as rival factions vie for power.”
Exciting features of Cults & Daggers include:
• Secretly manipulate the rise and fall of great cities throughout 400 years of history
• Gain influence by building temples, performing sacrifices, preaching, recruiting noble families, etc.
• Weaken opponents through blasphemy, assassination, robbery and subversion
• Destroy evil places of power to thwart the Old Gods and earn grand rewards
• Disciple skills include teaching, killing, hiding, performing spells & curses, preaching and more!
• Carefully manage your religion’s Faith and Hope levels in order to gain power and influence
• Spend Faith and Occult to cast spells, and bring curses and miracles to the world
• Extensive Single player with procedurally generated disciples and city data
• Multiplayer for up to 4 via Multiplayer Hot Seat and Play-By-E-Mail (PBEM)
• Procedurally generated technology tree and adventure system
• In-depth modeled spying system allows for deep subterfuge
• Game includes free Cults & Daggers ambient music album