Independent developer Spiritus Games is proudly announcing their debut title, Fabular: Once upon a Spacetime. Made by gamers for gamers, this labour of love project is aiming to release Spring, 2017 and will be available on Windows PC.
Developed by a small team of talented veterans from the gaming industry, who worked on such titles as: The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing or the Codename: Panzers series, Fabular: Once upon a Spacetime offers a unique blend of retro-futurism in a folktale-inspired storyline. As a young medieval knight on a quest in outer space, players explore an abstract, storybook-like universe and engage other space-faring knights and creatures in close and ranged combat using a unique techno-fantasy skillset.
Infused with rogue-like elements, such as procedural level generation and a high replayability value, players are not only able to choose their type of spacecraft but can gain mythical folktale-inspired loot and unlock dozens of skills and upgrades which can result in drastically different consequent playthroughs. Players may succeed in the game either by being skillful with neat reflexes or being strategic with a deep foresight and well thought-out decisions, or with a mixture of both.
Fabular: Once upon a Spacetime is inspired by folktales and famous fairy tales from such charismatic authors as the Grimm Brothers. The player controls the King’s youngest heir who is on a mission to reclaim the Sun itself, stolen and caged by the dreadful League of Black Knights who terrorize the realm as if they were a Seven-Headed Dragon. The King sent his army, his most loyal men and his two older sons after the Black Knights but all of them failed. It is now down to his youngest to go across seven mythical Realms, defeat each Black Knight and restore equilibrium to the Kingdom.
Being avid gamers themselves, the developers gained inspiration from such fan favourite titles as FTL: Faster Than Light, Star Control and Path of Exile, while creating a brand new and original experience.
● Top-down, physics-based melee and ranged combat with stylish real-time-lit pixel art visuals and smooth animation
● An artistic vision of the Middle Ages infused with futuristic elements, as medieval knights clash in armoured spaceships
● Deep and atmospheric universe with dozens of procedurally generated out-of-this-world locations on an ever-changing starmap
● Hundreds of randomly generated text based events featuring colorful characters, locations and items inspired by classical folktales such as Table-Be-Set, Seven-League Boots or The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs
● Multiple playable ship types, upgrades, skills, items and lots of unlockables offering huge replayability value